Re: [linux-audio-dev] Catching up with XAP

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Catching up with XAP
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 13:09:56 EET

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 04:14:23 -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:
> I'm breaking these into two emails for the two subjects. I'm replying to
> each subject in big reply - so you can see the evolution of my position :)
>
> *** From: David Olofson <david_AT_olofson.net>
> > > The trigger is a virtual control which really just says whether the
> > > voice is on or not. You set up all your init-latched controls in
> > > the init window, THEN you set the voice on.
> >
> > The only problem I have with it is that it's completely irrelevant to
> > continous control synths - but they can just ignore it, or not have
> > the control at all.
>
> Does continuous control mean continuous sound?

No, because one of the controls is often gate or amplitude.

> 2) continuous control - this includes things like a violin, which receives
> streams of parameters. This gets a VVID for each new voice. If you want
> glissando, you would tell the violin synth that fact, and it would handle
> it.

> Mono-synths need a VOICE, too. Modular synth modules might not. They are
> effectively ON all the time, just silent because of some other control.
> This works for modular-style synths, because they are essentially pure
> oscillators, right? Mono-synths can still have init-latched values, and
> releases etc. Does it hurt anything to give modular synths a VOICE control,
> if it buys consistency at the higher levels? Maybe - I can be swayed on
> that. But a modular synth is NOT the same as just any mono-synth.

(Analogue) monosynths do not have init latched values. I guess if you're
trying to mimic a digital monosynth you might want a VOICE, but I can't
see how it would be anything but confusing when youre trying to implement
a monosynth model. There are also effects that might want to receive note
information, but wouldn't want (or expect) to have to deal with voices,
eg. pitch shift.

Isn't the easiest thing just to make the instrument declare wether its
polyphonic or not, if it is (NB it can have a polyphony of one) it will
receive VVIDs, if not, it wont.

- Steve