Re: [linux-audio-dev] Catching up with XAP

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Catching up with XAP
From: Tim Hockin (thockin_AT_hockin.org)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 22:10:49 EET

> > Does continuous control mean continuous sound?
>
> No, because one of the controls is often gate or amplitude.

But that is the result of some other control - by default, these things are
always on, they may be gated or muted, but they are oscillating.

> (Analogue) monosynths do not have init latched values. I guess if you're
> trying to mimic a digital monosynth you might want a VOICE, but I can't
> see how it would be anything but confusing when youre trying to implement
> a monosynth model.

> Isn't the easiest thing just to make the instrument declare wether its
> polyphonic or not, if it is (NB it can have a polyphony of one) it will
> receive VVIDs, if not, it wont.

So I *think* the confusion I have been having is that when you say
mono-synth, I think TB303, or Juno. A synth that has poly=1.

I guess it is reasonable (and nice) to not have to deal with VOICE_ON/OFF
for things like a modular synth module (essentially an oscillator).

This revelation came when I started trying to think up things that didn't
need VOICE and the one that came to mind (this was my revelation) was a
theremin. VOICE makes absolutely no sense for this. It is always on and
ready to go, just waiting for some control (hand-distance or something).

So I've come around somewhat on this. However, what I don't see is how
these things can be polyphonic, with the exception of multiple channels
(which are essentially different instances with some shared stuff).

So am I finally "Getting It?".