Re: [linux-audio-dev] RE: MMA memebership [was XAP: Some thoughts on control ramping]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] RE: MMA memebership [was XAP: Some thoughts on control ramping]
From: Vincent Touquet (vincent.touquet@pandora.be)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 18:51:34 EET

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 11:30:45AM -0500, RonKuper@Cakewalk.com wrote:
>IMO the *worst* possible scenario is that the commercial companies (many of
>whom are a one man show) decide that they want to join the MMA, while a
>sizeable group of others decide to persue a parallel effort. That gives us
>2 standards, and nobody wins.
(cut)

True. I don't think anyone in his right mind wants fragmentation.

I think the problem with VST for platforms like Linux was the
restrictions on the distribution of the header files of the SDK ?
That's definitely something that should be avoided.

I think it was also Dave (or Paul?) who raised the issue that TDM plugins
allow some protection against copying, so they would be unlikely to switch
to an API or a 'paradigm' which has no provisions against 'warezing'.

A little bit off-topic, I wonder if there is any open project looking
into using the TCPA infrastructure that will be available in newer
boards to allow eg. time limited use of plugins or copy protection, even
in a free OS ? I think its also best to not underestimate the economics
which are involved here.

I think everyone should at least have the full
ability to go for the implementation they want, which means no
restrictions on open development, but also no restrictions for
corporations who want to make money off it.

Which leaves me only to say that I appreciate the open view that Ron is
showing in this regard (I hope I may call you Ron) and I welcome his
opinionated mails on this list as a fully qualified lurker ;).

just my 2 Euro cents,