Re: [linux-audio-dev] MMA membership (rambling reply)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MMA membership (rambling reply)
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey@boosthardware.com)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 20:56:57 EET

>AFAIK no LA-based recording or post-production studio is using Linux on
>a daily basis. We need to score a win similar to the Linux wins in the
>film industry. A hit song made with Linux software would certainly do
>the trick (not that I'm a fan of popular music, but it is the big
>market/money that counts for the pro-audio guys).

I don't know if that's so true actually. The big movies that use
technology designed on top of Linux have to sync their audio somehow. If
they are doing all the rendering and post production in Linux envs then
they must have some very powerful audio functionality in the apps they use.

>I'm reminded of Paul's observation of how small the industry
>really is. Considering the narrowness of the market I'd wonder why the
>major manufacturers would do anything that might put the jinx on their
>cash flow.

Because they may not like having to work in the paradigm that has been
forced on them. It could actually be that these companies actually do
care about their community and resent having to work against the natural
  flow of the universe in order to put food on their plates.

I'm not sure. How many of the developers who contributed significantly
to the current selection of professional audio software did it because
they love the results of their work and how many did it because they
want the cash?

In the ideal world we make money from doing what we enjoy. I would like
to think that the people creating for musicians have more of a solid
grasp of that ideal.

I don't like to think that the industry as it currently functions has
been created by money hungry musos catering to the pop market.

If that is the case then maybe I don't want to use these products that
they want to sell me and they should stay the hell away from open source
for fear of turning to dust ;)

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No! We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002 The Scotsman