Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio s/w ui swallowing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio s/w ui swallowing
From: David Olofson (david@olofson.net)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 14:24:02 EET

On Thursday 30 January 2003 13.10, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 09:35:57 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > > If so I would suggest 624 x 64 for a 1U 19" window. The ratio
> > > is 1:9.75; just half a pixel away from 19":1U on the height.
> > > 624 gives you some room for window borders even in 640x480, and
> > > height shouldn't be an issue as long as units stay below 7U. 64
> > > is also a nice figure for 1U, IMHO. :-)
> >
> > There were no complaints about using 624 x 64 as the 1U of 19"
> > for virtual rack devices, IIRC. Still sounds nice to me,
> > although, for various reasons, I'd also like to support "half
> > rack" format; ie 312 pixels corresponding to 9?" units.
>
> Yeah, good idea.
>
> I did actually play with this stuff a little, one possible way
> forward is using Xnest*, but I found it a bit tricky to get stated
> (its not well documented). In theory you would write a simple
> window manager, get it running on the Xnest server and the set the
> DISPLAY var to the Xnest server when starting your app. The simple
> window manager could then stick it in the right place and all would
> be happyness and joy.

Well, I was thinking in terms of doing that on the rendering API level
- although that obviously means that you'll either have to use my low
level, chrome oriented pixmap toolkit directly, or port some more
traditional toolkit (like FLTK) to render on top of it. Communication
with the server would be through lock-free FIFOs in shared memory,
Un*x pipes, messages or whatever, depending on platform.

Not exactly the smoothest way to do it, though it seems to be pretty
much the only way to do what I want. I don't want to drag in toolkits
that I'm basically just going to (ab)use as rendering layers anyway,
especially since virtually none of them will run on more than 2 or 3
platforms, and even fewer support fullscreen/"raw" targets like
fbdev, DirectFB, DirectX or svgalib.

Anyway, as to X, how about doing something like what XMMS does? Don't
know exactly how it's done, but it looks like they're just dragging
the other windows along when the main window is moved. Doesn't track
totally glitch free, but it sort of works...