Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio s/w ui swallowing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio s/w ui swallowing
From: torbenh@gmx.de
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 12:31:02 EET

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 09:07:18AM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 08:31:44 +0100, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> > > Yes, but hat is done with a window manger hack, normal X apps can't do
> > > that.
> >
> > Are you sure this is the case? There are numerous applications that support
> > swallowing. Some of them are quite small.
> > Right now I can't think of one though, I'll do some checking.
>
> OK, well, more precicely, the ones I looked at (FVWM and Gnome-whatsit IIRC)
> used window manager hacks.

here is some excerpt from gtksocket.h: from gtk-1.2.x
------------------snip---------------------------
struct _GtkSocketClass
{
  GtkContainerClass parent_class;
};

GtkWidget* gtk_socket_new (void);
guint gtk_socket_get_type (void );
void gtk_socket_steal (GtkSocket *socket,
                                      guint32 wid);

------------------snap---------------------------

this is a normal gtkwidget ... call gtk_socket_steal( sock, wid )
and you are done...
if this is a hack i dont see it and dont care.

i will try it out soon...
when i write the jack application component for gAlan...

> > We talked about this some years ago I remember doing some checking back then,
> > the ones that I have seen are derived from WindowMakers dockapps.
> > These apps export small bitmaps as windows, I think the approach is valid for
> > us to.
>
> Not really, as the bitmap will be ~600 pixels wide and is likely to
> contain constantly moving meters, I can image that being quite a load.
>
> Xnest seems like a better option really. It just needs somone who
> understands X better than me to look at it.

No Xnest please...

--
torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language