Re: [linux-audio-dev] The future of XAP? (was: fruityloops on linux?)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] The future of XAP? (was: fruityloops on linux?)
From: David Olofson (david@olofson.net)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 20:19:54 EET

On Friday 31 January 2003 18.54, Steve Harris wrote:
[...]
> > I could have missed it, of course. I'll check the archive.
>
> No, I've been on the list for a similar ammount of time, and I've
> not seen this discussion, I think Paul meant a different list.

Yes... Which one? Obviously, I'm interested in anything related to
plugin APIs, and I *have* been trying to find discussions on the
subject, but it's hard. People are either "amateurs" like ourselves,
and/or not seriously interested in discussing plugin APIs.

Oh, of course, there have been discussions on the VST list. I have
taken part in that to some extent, if nothing else, to get a better
idea of what VST developers want and need. However, it seems that
it's not the right place for anything like an open, unbiased
discussion. The list *is* about VST, after all, and I have a feeling
that Steinberg isn't very interested in anything they don't control.
VST 3 development seems to be *totally* closed, at the same time as
they're "open to suggestions"...

I'm not sure what to make of it, but to me, they appear to keep saying
one thing and doing another. And frankly, I wouldn't trust them even
if they said VST 3 was going to be an open/free standard, so I'm not
very interested in VST as such; only it's design and feature set -
and that's a well kept secret so far.

Anyway, I'm off to hunt mailing lists...