[linux-audio-dev] Remove from list

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Remove from list
From: David Seymour (David@benchmarkmedia.com)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 18:28:53 EET

David Seymour
Benchmark Media Systems
800-262-4675
www.benchmarkmedia.com

-----Original Message-----
From: David Olofson [mailto:david@olofson.net]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 10:26 AM
To: linux-audio-dev@music.columbia.edu
Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: linux-audio-dev digest, Vol 1 #312 -
8 msgs

On Monday 03 February 2003 15.36, Ben Loftis wrote:

> >> This could be useful for state storing in hosts, but how many
> >> would use it? I'd certainly be reluctant to implemnt it.
> >
> >Right... I'm not even sure what state we're talking about here,
> > but I *assume* it's basically all you need to continue playing
> > from where you saved the state. Freezing reverb tails and stuff?
> > Sounds fun but pretty useless... Might help some very special
> > apps - but then, will it be sufficient?
>
> If you want to restart playback at an arbitrary point and be
> sample-accurate, you must have this, right?

Nope. Sample accuracy has nothing to do with it. You'd just start
playing and make sure there are events to set the transport at the
right position before the first sample frame. (Or if you have the
plugins running all the time, you just start the sequencer, period.)

> I think it's a good
> idea (I suggested it myself a while back). The host can cache
> these at regular intervals (and at the user's locate points) so you
> can start playback and the host only has to preroll from the most
> recent state chunk. Implementation is easy if you design for it...
> just stream all your internal variables into a buffer.

So, we're basically talking about a brute-force solution to the
classic "make MIDI behave as recorded audio" problem?

It could work in theory, but what about the bandwidth required for
some plugins to do this correctly? You'll have to drop delay buffers
and the like, and then it's not a complete solution anyway. Could
work pretty well for synths though, and that's probably the
interesting part.