Re: LCP beyond LADSPA? was Re: [linux-audio-dev] PTAF link and comments

Subject: Re: LCP beyond LADSPA? was Re: [linux-audio-dev] PTAF link and comments
From: David Olofson (david@olofson.net)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 18:54:26 EET

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 17.40, Paul Winkler wrote:
[...]
> Quick (?) LCP question:
> how closely is it tied to LADSPA?
> Does it only support LADSPA float ports? (I guess it would.)
[...]

This is pretty much exactly what I'm thinking about right now... First
thought: Extend it to support XAP. Second thought: Turn it into a
more generic "remote control" API/protocol.

Then I started thinking about Audiality exporting it's mixer controls
to this, as a two-way alternative to the NRPN based protocol I'm
currently running over the ALSA sequencer or other MIDI API.

> The fallback plan is to use MIDI over the ALSA sequencer, but
> I really don't want to have to do that!

I considered that as well, but there are two major issues. MIDI is
basically a one-way protocol. (There *are* standardized exceptions to
this rule, but AFAIK, none of them involve registering controls and
stuff like that.) MIDI has only 7 and 14 bit controls, no control
registering protocol etc, so one would have to design a new protocol
on top of MIDI, based CCs, NRPNs, SysEx or whatever - and at that
point, one starts to wonder what the point is in using MIDI as the
transport layer in the first place.