Re: [linux-audio-dev] PTAF link and comments

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] PTAF link and comments
From: David Olofson (david@olofson.net)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 21:38:11 EET

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 19.31, Tim Hockin wrote:
[...]
> simple plugins will get by using the first two, and 'l33t h4x0rz'
> will dig the third because they can make some eye-candy.

Yeah, and normal users will think our plugins using XML + chrome sound
better. (Seriously!) This is not to be underestimated if we're
interested in having normal users taking our stuff seriously.

> > > 4) total - plugin provides binary UI code (possibly bytecode or
> > > lib calls)
> >
> > bytecode would be too slow I think, the maths for some UI work is
> > quite heavy.
>
> I agree - but JIT is pretty powerful nowadays. Not saying it is a
> road we should embark upon. I think a portable GUI lib is the
> right answer, myself.
>
> libVSTGui => libxapgui.

Yeah. It would be cool with platform independent GUIs, constructed
from only graphics, XML and (optionally) script code, but that's
really a layer you would build on top of libxapgui, or as an
alternative solution.

Either way, when it comes to libxapgui, I would prefer something that
separates rendering from logic on the "widget" level. That is,
instead of having a slider widget with a background image and a knob
image, you'd have a slider widget that's supposed to be placed inside
a suitable container widget, using another container widget as a
knob. How about putting some tiny buttons inside that knob...? ;-)