Re: [linux-audio-dev] LCP UIs (was PTAF link and comments)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LCP UIs (was PTAF link and comments)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 12:11:55 EET

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 11:01:35 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> >> you might be suprised to know that i agree with you :) thats partly
> >> why i wrote LCP (the LADSPA Control Protocol), and am adding support
> >> for it to Ardour as we speak. it doesn't avoid the IPC you fear
> >> between the GUI and the DSP code, but it does allow plugin authors to
> >> create GUIs using whatever tools they want to.
> >
> >Horay, I'l dust off my LCP code. We still need to solve the service
> >discovery problem, but that is mild.
>
> my current plan:
>
> string potential_lcp_executable = LADSPA_PATH + '/' + plugin_id + ".lcp";

I would suggest keeping them slightly more seperate from the plugins, maybe
LADSPA_PATH + '/lcp/' + plugin_id + ".lcp";

> if (access (potential_lcp_executable, X_OK)) {
> char *args[6];
> args[0] = potential_lcp_executable;
> args[1] = "--host";
> args[2] = my_lcp_host_name;
> args[3] = "--plugin";
> args[4] = some_local_identifier_for_plugin;
> args[5] = 0;
> fork_and_exec (potential_lcp_executable, args);
> }

What's the plan for generic UIs? A special id, eg. "generic"? The host
should also provide the ID of the plugin, for UIs that support >1 plugin.
What's the --host flag for?

- Steve