Re: [linux-audio-dev] (OT) C++ flame war

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] (OT) C++ flame war
From: David Olofson (david@olofson.net)
Date: Fri Feb 07 2003 - 01:50:58 EET

On Friday 07 February 2003 00.09, Martijn Sipkema wrote:
[...]
> When dynamically linking C++ classes that imlement an interface you
> can export create/destroy functions that return/take a pointer to a
> instance. Note
> that you should not use virtual destructors instead of a destroy
> function since
> the delete function called might not match the new from the
> dynamically loaded code.

I had to think some before I realized what you're getting at. :-)

Indeed, new and delete must be matched, since the ones in another
binary might well use a different memory manager, or be wrapped or
something.

> > BTW, I believe this is about the way normal constructors work in
> > Delpih/Object Pascal - which is why you cannot have static
> > instances at all. No matter what you type, what you get is always
> > a pointer.
>
> On of the best things about C++ is having auto storage classes,
> since it makes resource management much easier/safer. I really
> don't like Delphi/Object Pascal at all.

Nor do I, really. The whole thing is a nice tool for RAD when it comes
to some types of applications, but there are things like this
particular language "feature" that are getting on my nerves at times.

> I'm not sure but I believe
> with Java it is also not possible to create classes on the stack,
> but Java has a garabage collector (and that's not always convenient
> for RT tasks).

Or rather, it makes it useless for hard real time, unless 1) the
underlying memory manager is deterministic (ie can run on a fixed,
preallocated pool) and 2) you have full control over the garbage
collector.