Re: [linux-audio-dev] Call for participation: MMA GMPI working group

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Call for participation: MMA GMPI working group
From: David Olofson (david@olofson.net)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 21:59:32 EET

On Tuesday 11 February 2003 15.43, Steve Harris wrote:
[...]
> I've probably suggested this before, but the URI scheme works,
> anyone who has control over a domain/website can issue URIs, eg. I
> could use
>
> http://plugin.org.uk/gmpi#myPluginName
>
> or something of that form. Its robust (relies on the DNS system),
> and centrally, externally and impartially administered.

Works for me, although I'm not totally happy about the fact that
domains do expire whenever the owner decides they don't care any
longer. And if users have plugins created by someone who owned
www.xap-plugins.com, and someone else takes over the domain name...
Well, you get the idea!

We could allow the use of CPU IDs, NIC MAC addresses and that sort of
stuff. Just specify cpuid://, mac:// or whatever before it, to avoid
conflicts between the spaces.

Of course, an audio hacker *might* sell or give a NIC, a CPU or
whatever to some other audio hacker... So it might be a good idea to
include the developer's name or something, just in case! ;-)

> It could be a requirement that the URI resolves to some information
> about the plugin. Or not.

In fact, considering the above, we might even want to *discourage*
that. Use another field for URLs, because it's a different thing.

Also, what do you do with your URIs if you move the home site?

> If the $30 a year domain registration fees are too onerous, use a
> free website provider like geocities or such.

Or find the some owner of a domain likely to hang around for a good
while and ask if you can use a "virtual" sub-directory under that
domain for your plugins. (Ex: "http://olofson.net/steves-plugins#*".
No guarantee that I'll live longer than your plugins, though! ;-)