Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: why is no-one responding are you all just a bunch of &*^%&^%^& wits???

Subject: Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: why is no-one responding are you all just a bunch of &*^%&^%^& wits???
From: Lamar Owen (lamar.owen@wgcr.org)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 17:03:51 EET

On Thursday 13 February 2003 04:44, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Paul Davis wrote:
> > when ardour is in a state where i believe (rightly or wrongly) that a
> > reasonably typical target user can sit down and just use it without
> > encountering bugs when recording a typical 12-32 track piece, there
> > will be binaries.

> don't forget that the binary distribution may cause different kind of
> problems, too.

I have some experience with distributing binaries of a large package. I have
maintained the PostgreSQL RPM's for over three years. While I continue to do
it, there are definitely pitfalls. They are avoidable, however. You try to
make the source RPM rebuild easily on the target distributions, and only
distribute binaries for which distributions you have. If they build it from
source RPM (which has advantages over the traditional configure/make/make
install) then it's their baby.

The advantages of RPM's are mostly apparent when you upgrade or uninstall.

See the Cinelerra RPM for an example of the wild things one can do with an
RPM.

With a tool such as apt-get, and an apt repository of RPM's, installation of
even the most complicated set of package dependencies can be a breeze.
Reference Planet CCRMA. Download apt-rpm, make some config changes, apt-get
update, and then apt-get install packages of your choice. Dependencies are
automatically calculated, packages downloaded, and everything installed in
the right order. There are significant advantages to this structure.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio