Re: [linux-audio-dev] programmming bug

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] programmming bug
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 22:10:40 EET

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 20:43:47 +0000
"James William Morris" <sirrom75_AT_hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there, I'm just a humble hobbyist coder.
>
> I'm looking for some coders who can spare some time to help me with a
> program I've been writing.
>
> It is basically a C++ modular synth /sequencer /sampler which only generates
> wav files. Not for people with decent computers (ie not me), but for those
> of us with heaps of crap which refuse to do anything except a handfull of
> audio channels and fx in cubase in windows, (works better than linux equiv
> on same machine - sorry)
>
> But I've decided to write the program in Linux using anjuta because I'd
> rather do that than learn visual C & mfc, and I'd rather use Linux.
>
> My program keeps going wrong, now it's decided that it will transpose all
> notes up four octaves for now apparent reason.
> if anyone can is willing to help I'd much appreciate it.

Hi James,

You might find it a little difficult to find anyone to help because
people are too busy working on their own projects.

You should view this as an opportunity to improve you debugging skills.
Debugging is probably one of the most important aspects of programming.

Basically you should work like this:

   1) Fully define what is going wrong (ie the symptoms). Write it down.
   2) Hyposthesize what might be causing it to go wrong.
   3) Check you hypothesis.
   4) Goto 1.

Sorry i can't help more.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
Everything that I've learned about computers I have boiled
down into three principles:
  PC/Windows: You think it won't work, and it won't.
  Macintosh: You think it will work, but it won't.
  Unix: You think it won't work, but if you find the right
        guru, you can make it work.