Re: [linux-audio-dev] BruteFIR + jack = crackling noise?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] BruteFIR + jack = crackling noise?
From: Martijn Sipkema (msipkema_AT_sipkema-digital.com)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 21:14:25 EET

[...]
> Instead I would suggest a built in poll mode in JACK for audio hardware
> with strange period sizes. Although not the most beautiful solution, it
> will work reliably and will only be needed for the type of hardware
> that cannot provide interrupt rates which is a power of two.

I'm not a JACK developer so my opinion may not really count here, but
I really think it would be a bad decision to criplle support for all
hardware
that is not able to provide constant size power of two (frames) periods.

And it surely wouldn't be bad for clients not to rely a a particular size
callback. I don't know how CoreAudio handles this. I'm sure EASI did
not have constant size callbacks and VST does not either IIRC. (ASIO
probably does, but ASIO also forces double buffering (I think)...).

--ms