[linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: New LADSPA Hints (Was: [ANNOUNCE] tapiir-0.7.1)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: New LADSPA Hints (Was: [ANNOUNCE] tapiir-0.7.1)
From: Mike Rawes (mike_rawes_AT_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 28 2003 - 12:07:18 EET

Think this needs to go to LAD too...

 --- Steve Harris <S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> I think there was one more too, but I can't think what it was...

I remember one about sidechains or something. I don't know what a sidechain is,
though, I just recall seeing it somewhere :)

> I agree AUDIO_RATE_CONTROL should be renamed.
>
> There was a suggestion on ardour-dev that a hint to say whether control outs
> were supposed to be informative or a source of control data might help,
> but I'm not sure about it.

Not sure what 'informative' means here... what information do we get if we
ignore the control data on the output?

> Does someone want to reword these in a more meaningful way? If not I'l do
> it, then you'l be sorry ;).

I'll have a go :)

(The LADSPA_IS_* things will need to be added too)

/* Hint MOMENTARY indicates that that a control should behave like a
   momentary switch, such as a reset or sync control. LADSPA_HINT_MOMENTARY
   may only be used in combination with LADSPA_HINT_TOGGLED. */
#define LADSPA_HINT_MOMENTARY 0x40

/* Hint RANDOMISABLE indicates that it's meaningful to randomise the port
   if the user hits a button. This is useful for the steps of control
   sequencers, reverbs, and just about anything that's complex. A control
   with this hint should not result in anything too suprising happening to
   the user (eg. sudden +100dB gain would be unpleasant). */
#define LADSPA_HINT_RANDOMISABLE 0x80

/* Plugin Ports:

   Plugins have `ports' that are inputs or outputs for audio or
   data. Ports can communicate arrays of LADSPA_Data (for audio
   or continuous control inputs/outputs) or single LADSPA_Data values
   (for control input/outputs). This information is encapsulated in the
   LADSPA_PortDescriptor type which is assembled by ORing individual
   properties together.

   Note that a port must be an input or an output port but not both
   and that a port must be one of either control, audio or continuous. */

[...]

/* Property LADSPA_PORT_CONTINUOUS_CONTROL indicates that the port is
   a control port with data supplied at audio rate. */
#define LADSPA_PORT_CONTINUOUS_CONTROL 0x10

-
Mike