Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP spec - early scribbles

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP spec - early scribbles
From: Simon Jenkins (sjenkins_AT_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 01 2003 - 18:47:55 EET

torbenh_AT_gmx.de wrote:

>[...]
>
>Another problem i have with moving to the graph ordering side
>is the opengl stuff in galan which requires the pull model for
>the data.
>
>It would get somewhat inconsistent if gl data was pulled and
>audio data not... but this is also cosmetic...

They're not that far apart:

The point of graph-ordering is achieve pull semantics from a
push implementation. The graph orderer works out what order
the data would be pulled through the graph, and the data gets
pushed through in reverse order to achieve the same effect.

A push implementation with push semantics probably wouldn't
bother to sort the graph: it could rapidly calculate the execution
order at runtime, executing each node as its data became available.

OTOH I agree that there's an inconsistency at the implementation
level, if thats what you're concerned about.

Simon Jenkins
(Bristol, UK)