[OT] rant (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] shared memory tools?)

Subject: [OT] rant (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] shared memory tools?)
From: rm (async_AT_cc.gatech.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 10:12:56 EET

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 08:07:47AM +0200, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> >From: rm <async_AT_cc.gatech.edu>
> >> Could somebody please write these routines to me?
> >
> > yikes! [ insert nasty comment here ]
>
> What is wrong in asking somebody expert to write these routines for me?

(not speaking for anyone but myself here)...

the problem is that people are likely to take that question the wrong
way. (if you want to be get your point across, you should strive to
convey your message as clearly as possible in the most robust manner
possible).

so when you say "could somebody please write these routines for me",
my reaction is to think that this person feels their time is more
valuable than others' time and that this person thinks other people
should stop what they're doing to attend to his goal. (i don't believe
you intended this which is why i didn't actually put a nasty comment
there: i wanted to convey though that i found the behaviour socially
unacceptable).

asking for hints (as you did) was probably the right way to pose the
question. many times when you ask for hints, someone will pull out
some example code--they'll basically write it for you. but i don't
think asking people outright to write the code for you is likely to
engender a positive response. (especially when the recipient of the
message doesn't know of or share your goal).

people are more willing to help someone who they see put his effort
into the task for which he seeks help. if you don't want to spend your
time and energy doing it, why should i?

> Should I write slowly everything myself and feel like a brave hacker,
> or should I just get the application written as soon as possible?

you can say, "it would be more efficient; we could get so much more
done." and that may well be true, but you're dealing with *people*,
not with columns in a spreadsheet. show other people that you
understand this.

> The old hacker tradition a la A. Cox et al (did he wrote some memo on
> open source coding) should be forgotten yesterday. If people need utils
> or algorithms, they should be encouraged to ask them instead of spending
> days in thinking the best approach (which could kill all the fun).

(do you mean this http://slashdot.org/features/98/10/13/1423253.shtml ?)

they should be encouraged to ask if those algorithms and utils exist,
and if so how might they find them. they should not be encouraged to
request other people to spend time doing what they want done.

the approach you advocate doesn't scale...what happens the next time
you need an algorithm but can't be bothered to look it up? what
happens when the expert leaves and isn't around to help you anymore?

to summarize:
        communities have certain protocols and rules of etiquette.
                     (where i'm from you don't ask someone else
                      to do your work for you, because you can't be
                      bothered or because it would be easier and faster for
                      you. i think this is extremely reasonable).

        people don't merely exist to be as efficient as possible.

if you fail to recognize these facts or if you treat people in ways
that make it appear that you don't understand these facts, then you
should not be surprised if you encounter criticism.

> In any case, change in attitude does not make a harm at all, instead,
> we might end up to see more finished software, and less unfinished
> software.

we *might* end up with all sorts of stuff if we change our attitudes,
but who said my goal was to finish software?

pompously yours,
rob

----
Robert Melby
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt4255a
Internet: async_AT_cc.gatech.edu