[linux-audio-dev] request for a small app

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] request for a small app
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 16:12:39 EET

Greetings:

  I'm setting up some machines for people who want to start working with
Linux audio applications. I've installed RH 8.0 and the PlanetCCRMA
software, and I'm sure the users will be very pleased with these
systems. However, one of the guys wants a simple app that I'm not
finding (or am overlooking on my own site). He mostly wants to play his
external MIDI keyboard through his soundcard (SBLive), which is no
problem, but he'd like to be able to see what patches he selects via
program changes sent from his keyboard. I'm wondering if it might be
possible to whip up a small app that displays the following:

        ALSA/JACK connection status
        patch name update
        MIDI message flow (minus active sensing, of course)

  I'm imagining a simple 1-panel app that just lets him know that his
keyboard is working and what are his selected patches. Yes, I know he
can do this in MusE but he isn't interested in sequencing yet, he just
likes to jam out on his keyboard. He's been using some similar app under
Windows 3.1 (!!!), it would be nice if I can give him something under
Linux that's at least as amenable.

  Comments, suggestions ?

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org

Currently listening to: Brian Eno, "Unfamiliar Wind"