Re: [linux-audio-dev] recording, sample rate problem

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] recording, sample rate problem
From: Nick Bailey (n.j.bailey_AT_elec.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 16:39:01 EET

Turos Laszlo wrote:

>Hi
>
>I'm trying to write a soundrecorder application under linux.
>I have Redhat 7.2 with kernel 2.4.
>Playing sound on my soundcard works fine,but
>I'm having problems recording.
>I was using GNOME Sound recorder 1.2.3 to record sound but it seems
>that it can only record sound at a 48000 Hz sampling rate,but playing back
>the recorded sound it is a noise.
>
>I wrote a little program myself and I reached the same conclusion that I
>can not set other sampling rate than 48000.
>My soundcard under Windows records good sound with other sampling
>rates.

You don't know that. You mean "A file with other sampling rates can be
produced under Windows", right?

>I have my soundcard on my VIA motherboard.

I don't know this hardware, but you could try using 48k sampling rate
and converting to different sample rates when saving. Using sox down a
pipe works pretty well for this (other less hacky solutions exist :). It
seams a bit strange you can't record at least 44100 and 32000 as well,
though. What other sampling rates did you try?

--
Dr Nick Bailey                              n.j.bailey_AT_elec.gla.ac.uk
Centre for Music Technology                 http://cmt.gla.ac.uk/

European Copyright Directive/Software Patenting: Help us fight the war on terrorism. http://cmt.gla.ac.uk/Info/swpatents.html

The OpenDrama Survey: please tell us your opinions! http://markov.music.gla.ac.uk/Projects/OpenDrama/OD-Survey/