Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [jmax] Running a patch as a LADSPA plugin

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [jmax] Running a patch as a LADSPA plugin
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 16:38:46 EET

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 01:31:28 +0100, Francois Dechelle wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 12:46, Steve Harris wrote:
>
> > Yes, but the ID number would be created from a hash of the unqiue
> > identifier (eg. a URI), so it would be consistant between sessions.
>
> What would be this unique identifier in the case of the jMax plugin? The
> full path name?

Yeah, could be file:///path/to/jmax/file or similar.

> Anyhow, this would be for a new version of LADSPA, I guess. What should
> I do for now: use a range of IDs that will be reserved for jMax plugin?
> The plugin will then allocate IDs for each patch, but as you noticed,
> this set may have changed when you reload .
>
> > Not cleanly. You do can hacks with /tmp files and control values, but they
> > are messy.
>
> May be use an environment variable to tell in which directory to look
> for the files, and a control value to give the file number in this
> directory ?

I think environment variables are a bit too problematic, thier not private
to individual plugins, but could could create /known/path/file-<control val
a> then look on line <control val b> for the real filename.

The /known/path could be specified with an env var.

All this stuff is pretty kludgy though, to get round the fact that you're
trying to use LADSPA for something its not intended for.

- Steve