Re: [linux-audio-dev] Modular synths of the world, unite and take over :-)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Modular synths of the world, unite and take over :-)
From: Paul Davis (paul_AT_linuxaudiosystems.com)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 18:15:04 EET

>I think the bulk of redundant work is on standard
>effects or modules. We don't want to define anything
>as to how the modules work with each other, but maybe
>draft some sort of a file that compliant programs
>either a) convert to code and integrate into the app
>at compile-time or b) can open as "modules" if it's a
>modular synth.
>
>For example, it's hard to design a filter. At least I
>think so. So someone else designs one and releases it
>under _whatever_ license they want. If the license
>fits your app, you can use some sort of tool that will
>convert this file format to code in your language of

LADSPA: its not great for "instruments", but IMHO works at precisely
the correct level for synth modules.

however, all (or nearly all) of the tools mentioned already support
LADSPA and yet it doesn't seem to have done much to to reduce the
redundant work that is going on on these applications.

i think kai's observations in the past about how open source works in
this kind of situation are completely on the mark. it looks
inefficient, and it probably is, but its the way it works and if it
didn't, open source probably wouldn't work either.

--p