Re: [linux-audio-dev] Modular synths of the world, unite and take over :-)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Modular synths of the world, unite and take over :-)
From: jfm3 (jfm3_AT_ouroboros-complex.org)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 22:03:19 EET

> i've said many times before: i don't believe that "the desktop" is
> something that developers of "music" apps should concern themselves
> with. [...]
> i think we should focus on writing good applications that are
> independent of what a "desktop" does.

Yes. It is more useful to think of real time CHI (computer human
interaction) and not real time CHI.

I play my keyboard and the computer makes a sound. This is real time
CHI.

My video monitor displays level meters for the audio interface hardware.
This is real time CHI.

I change the settings on my synthesis program so that the keyboard
causes different sounds in performance. This might be not real time CHI.

In general, you will find that the more you move into real time CHI, the
more robust your audio synthesis/production system will be.

--
(jfm3  2838 BCBA 93BA 3058 ED95  A42C 37DB 66D1 B43C 9FD0)