Re: [linux-audio-dev] Modular synths of the world, unite and take over :-)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Modular synths of the world, unite and take over :-)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 23:14:27 EET

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 02:38:49 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> >problem of the hosts not completly implementing everything that is
> >supported by ladspa (until recently, i didn't know about this rdf
> >thingy, for instance.)
>
> that isn't actually part of LADSPA. its an example of the extreme ease
> of adding wrappers and new layers to LADSPA precisely because it
> represents the lowest common denominator for an audio plugin API.

Hey, the broken-record technique works ;)

I believe that its possible to use RDF to express all the annotations
neccesary to make complex (DSP) modules from LADSPA. The UI issue is
unsolved though.

> >And if you think of it, the situation with all those modular synth apps
>
> the situation is no different to the one in the h/w world. i don't
> hear anyone suggesting that doepfer should quit because moog is making
> modular stuff again, or even that they should work together. there are
> probably at least a half-dozen companies doing this today - should
> they all sit down and work out how to make their stuff interoperable
> beyond a 12V/octave standard?

Er, actually several of the compaines make hardware that is interoperable,
including Doepfer. You can plug AS modules into a Doepfer frame for
example.

In ultra pedantic mode its generally 1v / octave. Historically there was
also 1.2, but its pretty mcuh died out.

- Steve