RE: [linux-audio-dev] OpenSoundControl. WAS: Modular synths of the world, unite and take over :-)

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] OpenSoundControl. WAS: Modular synths of the world, unite and take over :-)
From: Martin Voelkel (ptiger_AT_gmx.de)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 11:14:18 EET

Ivica Bukvic writes:
> uses it), but it does so in a much more efficient fashion since it has
> timestamps and one can thus send events that are to happen in future
> prematurely in order to assure their timely execution.
>
> Also, events can be bundled together so that they are executed at the
> same time.
>
> Typical example of a OSC-type message would be:

AFAIK a timestamp can only be prepended an OSC-bundle (which contains
OSC messages or recursively bundles again), but not a single message?
so the only way to set a certain execution time is by sending a
bundle:

there is another way if we use the "timetag" data type, which is also
defined:

but then the timetag information is defined by the semantics of the
OSC address (AKA channel), not by the protocol.

> implementation (OSC-kit is available in a form of a lib, so the
> implementation is a breeze). Hope this helps!

i could not found any hint about the license of matt wright's library,
he always says "OpenSource", which is not necessarily "free". will
ask him about this.

martin

--
martin pabel-voelkel (martin_AT_rumori.de)
/* home is where your home directory is */