Re: [linux-audio-dev] Echo Darla/Gina/Layla/... on Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Echo Darla/Gina/Layla/... on Linux
From: Takashi Iwai (tiwai_AT_suse.de)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 13:53:21 EET

At Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:08:23 -0500,
Paul Davis wrote:

> >Anyway, I believe this goes for a bunch of other cards as well, so no
> >news here, really.
>
> there are plans to try to generalize the "firmware" loading for ALSA
> drivers to load stuff from a regular file. the wavefront driver does
> this. not many people know that a linux driver can call
> open/close/read/write. its pretty cool.

do you mean that the driver itself opens a file?
yes, it's quite practical that the driver loads the firmware by
itself. but it won't work if the driver is built in the kernel,
because the filesystem might not be mounted yet.
so, a loader binary would be more feasible.
(and, we can call such a binary conditionally according to the
 kernel config like request_module() calls modprobe.)

Takashi