Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP again - channels, etc.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP again - channels, etc.
From: Tim Hockin (thockin_AT_hockin.org)
Date: Sat Mar 22 2003 - 00:49:53 EET

> why support the difference between ports and controls ?
> This is done in the C galan and tony somehow managed to remove this
> difference in the C++ galan.

Because throughout all the XAP discussions we have made it clear that
controls are event-driven and ports are audio-rate data (specifically audio
data). Controls are more flexible in their data typing.

We have argued many hours about th ebenefits/drawbacks of using normalized
float data for everything and the decision we came to was that it just isn't
the best model. I point you at th earchives for the discussions :)

> I have not read much of this code but tony said he managed to remove
> this.

LADSPA is much the same way - connect anything to anything. But several
people in the XAP discussion feel that normalized data (0 to 1.0 or
whatever) is bad. I am still of the position that I could be convinced to
support two basic control types: numerical (normalized) and other (strings,
data block, etc). This, however, is still not the same as audio-rate
controls, which is what you get when you plug an oscillator into a knob.

The simplest concept is that they are different things. Audio and Control
data. Reconsidering this notion would takes us WAY back to early XAP
discussions. Maybe that is OK - anyone want to make a case for a new
fundamental model?

Tim