Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP again - channels, etc.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP again - channels, etc.
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 22 2003 - 10:38:39 EET

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 08:30:22 +0000, Simon Jenkins wrote:
> Something has to make this ramp/curve(/whatever), because at its
> source (eg UI widget or incoming midi message) the toggling of a
> switch *is* an event. But the rise and fall characteristics should
> belong to the owner of the source, not to the destination. An app

This is the fundamental problem here, the characteristics should belong to
the receiver.

FWIW I see little point pressing ahead with XAP, even if we were to come
up with a novel representation system, I doubt the GMPI people would
regard it as having enough pracical experience in the time between a XAP
implementation and GMPI design stage, and rightly so. once GMPI exists
there is little or no justification for anyone supporting XAP, even if it
technologically superiour. Please bear this in mind.

- Steve