Re: [linux-audio-dev] Low Latency Linux Hardware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Low Latency Linux Hardware
From: Jesse Chappell (jesse_AT_essej.net)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 07:15:28 EEST

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Craig Bergstrom wrote:
> My question is this-- where can I find a card that is both linux
> compatible, and low latency. Although I've done some serious reading on
> writing my own drivers, and im about a step away from doing it for some
> preexisting card, i'd prefer to use some preexisting card. The other
> problem is that my budget restricts me to about $200 or so. I mean i could
> probably sqeeze about $300-400 if i really needed to.. but Im a poor college
> student. (what can I say?) anyone know of a decent card that I could use
> in this price range? I would really apprecaite your feedback.

If all you need is a few analog channels (stereo in/out,midi),
the Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI (ens1371) is an excellent low-latency
performer, and you can't beat the price ($15). The sound quality
is OK, depending on your needs. I have used this card reliably
on stage with a low-latency kernel at 64 sample buffersize (2
periods) for a total through latency of 3ms with no overruns.
ALSA drivers. But if you want to spend more money, there are
well supported cards like the Audiophile 2496 ($150) that will
give you digital SPDIF along with stereo in/out and midi.
But I would start with the cheap ens1371 and move up if the sound
quality is a problem.

I had some issues with EM interference in a 1U rackmount case.
This was some strange interaction with the A/D and the CPU if
it was periodically idle. My fix was to keep the CPU busy all
the time. I think it was ACPI-related, and the fact the card was
so close to the motherboard.

Maybe if I keep bringing this little project up, I'll be
pressured more to put up a web page about my experiences with it.
Yeah, right ;)

jlc