Re: [linux-audio-dev] SMTPE/MTC Again

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] SMTPE/MTC Again
From: Fons Adriaensen (fons.adriaensen_AT_alcatel.be)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 11:28:00 EEST

Paul Davis writes:
> * a protocol that encodes time information in an audio stream
> * a format for specifying time (HH:MM:SS:FF)

Except for video editors, the HH:MM:SS:FF format is completely
irrelevant. Just think seconds. What the time code does is to
define a relation between a transport position in seconds and a
particular sample. Once you have this mapping, the format of
the timecode does not matter at all.

> wrong scenario. suppose i want to store the point in time where (say)
> a zero crossing happens. SMPTE will not allow me to do that. i have to
> store it as a sample position.

Again, why use the HH:MM:SS:FF format ? If you divide the 'sample
position' by the sample rate, you get a time in seconds. Conversely,
given a time in seconds, you can find the sample. This has nothing to
do with SMPTE or any other particular time code format.

FA