[linux-audio-dev] aseq -> smf or audio

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] aseq -> smf or audio
From: Hans Fugal (hans_AT_fugal.net)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 18:35:24 EEST

Hi all,

I am doing a modest partial MWPP implementation for a networking class
and I want to demo it for the professor and class, but am not keen on
carting my midi keyboard around campus if I can help it. Realtime would
of course be nice, but a pre-recorded sound file would be ok too. I
thought timidity++ would be a reasonable way to do this, but
unfortunately timidity sounds _awful_ when used as an ALSA sequencer
client, even when I'm feeding it with pmidi (i.e. I've ruled out network
jitter). It's very jittery. pmidi or my own program going to the
hardware midi port has no such jitter.

Is there a setting to make timidity behave better? I've tried a few
things (like -B 0) but to no avail. What's more, I can't get timidity to
output to a file with the -iA switch even if I do get the jitter down.

Alternatively, and probably more cool, I could create an SMF and play it
with timidity or playmidi or make a sound file with csound or something.
I like the csound option. :) Is there something out there that will take
midi from the ALSA sequencer and create an SMF?

Thanks,
Hans

--
 Hans Fugal                 | De gustibus non disputandum est.
 http://hans.fugal.net/     | Debian, vim, mutt, ruby, text, gpg