Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Hosting

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Hosting
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 15:26:00 EEST

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 07:31:47 -0400, Nick Tsocanos wrote:
> Since I need run_adding() and not all plugins implement I had to make my
> own run_adding() driver. Not really hard to do, but, if run_adding() was
> mandatory in all plugins, it would be less work overall.

Nope, because all plugins would have to implement run_adding as well as
run, not just all hosts that need run_adding. Thats more work overall.

BTW I'm glad your using that, I don think anyone else, at least I know its
tested now :)

> Particularly, this would be easy, would be a bit mask, that specified if
> it was a synthesis flag, or an effect processor, or something else. One
> boolean comparison and you could determine how a plugin could be used.

VST has that and its caused a lot of pain.

> Now, I have realized one thing: not all LADSPA plugins are good and will
> initialize themselves. So, I have to make sure I initialize it with the
> default hints, or it will blow up, lock up my system with massive buffer
> under runs because the plugin is making NANs or massive denormals or
> doing something just plain naughty.Some of them will come up in a random
> state and more or less they will lock up my system.

The plugins wont (can't?) initialise themselve because the host owns the
ports, its your job set some something, eg. all zeros, but OTOH the plugin
should not segfault given random inputs. The is a program, demolition,
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~njl98r/code/ladspa/ that tests plugins under
extreme conditions, recommended for all plug authors. My 0.4.0 release
survives it, just.

> What I haven't figured out is why there are NO CHORUS plugins. I love
> chorus, it is my favorite effects. I have written dozens of Chorus and

ID 1201? Multivoice chorus?

- Steve