Re: [linux-audio-dev] How can you make Jack always available?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] How can you make Jack always available?
From: Andy Schmeder (andy_AT_a2hd.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 00:57:56 EEST

<quote who="Nick Tsocanos">
> Hello,
> How can I make Jackd always run? Right now I have to set it up in a
> console window. I'd like to learn how to run it always at startup and
> not have to start/stop it when I need it.

I use an init script like this:

andy_AT_xfc:/etc/init.d$ ls -l jackd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 852 Mar 11 21:50 jackd

For a SysV-style init, (most linux distros), add a symlink to start it up
automatically for the default runlevel (2 is the default runlevel for a
debian system)...

root_AT_xfc:/etc/rc2.d# runlevel
N 2
root_AT_xfc:/etc/rc2.d# ls -l S20jackd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Apr 21 14:39 S20jackd ->
../init.d/jackd

To see what is going on, run this in a console:

# /etc/init.d/jackd monitor

I include LADCCAD in the init script also.

case $1 in

'start')

echo "Starting Jack Audio Server with period of 256 samples."

# LADCCAD ...
rm -f /var/log/ladccad.log
ladccad 1> /var/log/ladccad.log 2>&1 &

# Jack Audio Server
rm -f /var/log/jackd.log
jackd --realtime -v -d alsa -d hw:0 -r 44100 -p 256 \
  1> /var/log/jackd.log 2>&1

;;

'stop')

echo "Stopping Jack Audio Server."
killall jackd
killall ladccad

;;

'restart')

$0 stop
$0 start

;;

'start-monitor')

$0 start
$0 monitor

;;

'monitor')

tail -f /var/log/jackd.log

;;

*)

echo "Usage $0 [start, stop, restart, monitor]"

;;

esac

The above script should be tweaked as necessary for your setup.

--aws

mailto:andy*a2hd,com
http://www.a2hd.com/