Re: [linux-audio-dev] Kylix

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Kylix
From: nickt (nicktsocanos_AT_charter.net)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 03:53:10 EEST

Well, Linux just isn't a good RAD platform. Kylix is the only really
good RAD tool available. Kylix 3 is C++/Delphi. It does both. It's
basically Borland C++ Builder and Borland Delphi in an open source
package.

I know most Unix people don't like these types of tools.. but for me
they are a must. It's how I work. I do not understand alot of these
tools for Linux like autoconf and automake (no books or documents to
teach me) and I find them laborious and not very fun to do.

IMHO it is up to the IDE to do all that for you. Anjuta does a real nice
job with them. KDEstudio doesn't from my experience.

FLTK has Fluid but Fluid is not a very good RAD tool because there is no
documents on how to use it for RAD.

Qt-Designer is not a really good tool either you can not develop in it
(no compiler or debugger). It is PRETTY CLOSE to Kylix though if they
would just integrate KDEStudio into it.

I think GTK is the biggest piece of crap I ever saw. I am amazed people
have made anything nice with this. I hate the whole thing. It is all
wrong and stupid to me.

Qt looks nice but I have no documents to explain it enough to do advance
work with it.

Kylix is the best tool to use but I wonder about license issues and
things. I can not find Borland's license agreement for the damn program
anywhere so far. I know Borland has their own Open License and I am
wondering if it is the license that has kept people from accepting it
fully in the open source community.