Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspxmlgui needs numeric input controllers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspxmlgui needs numeric input controllers
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 12:04:22 EEST

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 09:28:03 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> it was imagined that this is up to the particular widget to handle in
> the "right way". i would rarely (if ever) use a knob widget that
> didn't include a numeric display/input field as well, for example. i
> don't consider the decision on what type of widget to use to be based
> on the required precision: all controllers should (must?) be capable
> of arbitrary precision.

[stating the obvious] except TOGGLEs and INTEGERs ofcourse. I've used knob
widgets in some UIs where, on minor controls the value was a sort of
editable tool tip that only appeared when the knob has focus. Works pretty
well.

> just keep in mind that nothing, absolutely nothing, has happened with
> the LADSPA XML GUI proposal for at least 18 months, perhaps
> longer. there are no plugins with GUIs written using the DTD.

Right. My option is that its a pretty niche thing, there are a few plugins
that would benefit from something like this, without custom widgets, but
not a huge number.

- Steve