Re: [linux-audio-dev] FIFOs vs. sockets

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] FIFOs vs. sockets
From: Ingo Oeser (ingo.oeser_AT_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 12:37:06 EEST

Hi there,

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 10:23:56PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> linux pipes are about the fast IPC on any operating system so far,
> although i have heard good things about futexes in kernel 2.5/2.6.

I can second that. Pipes are a damn fast on Linux. And the copy
is good for most applications, because it decouples the processes
and thus reduces communication. It also simplifies programming a
lot.

If your programming model cannot make use of pipelines or you
need very deep ones (in terms of bytes), then the standard pipes
make no sense.

And futexes are available on RH9.0 also for 2.4.x.

But futexes need a new glibc with the new POSIX threading library
(NPTL) included. On closed systems there is another solution with
a special futex-library.

But this solution should only be used for embedded audio
applications or just for fun.

Futexes are hidden behind the standard POSIX threading API. So if
people program along POSIX, it will just be slower on non-futex-
enabled kernels, but fast on future kernels.

Regards

Ingo Oeser