Re: [linux-audio-dev] Hartman Neuron

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Hartman Neuron
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 12:30:52 EEST

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 10:50:26AM +0200, Vincent Touquet wrote:
> I must say I really like the jack api and ladspa.
> One thing that is unfortunate (others would call it
> a strength), is the lack of a unified set of widgets we
> could use to build plugin guis from (or any application
> for that matter).

Agreed. There are a number of ways to solve this, but sadly they all
require a significant ammount of effort, and there are always some
importnat things to be done...

A laso kinda like the UI melange effect you get on VST systems, though
some of hte UIs are truely awful.

> What I really crave for, is a affordable general purpose
> DSP card, with a decent driver for Linux, to experiment with.

Well, theres the chameleon (sp?), but that isn;t a card, so wont lett you
accelerate just inner loops. It would be a nice thing but its hard for DSP
card manufacturers to compete with CPU+mothboard guys in the
price/performance stakes, because the volume is so low.

I keep seeing hints that th next generation of motherboards might include
some sort of DSP capability, and theres always graphics cards, which have
pretty meaty DSP capabilities.

> Combine it with LinuxBIOS booting in a few seconds and you
> have a very powerful platform :)

+ suspend to ram for a standby mode. Linux recoveres from S2R very
quickly.

- Steve