[linux-audio-dev] New form of GPL licence that protects Linux from proprietary world [was: New powermacs?]

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] New form of GPL licence that protects Linux from proprietary world [was: New powermacs?]
From: Ivica Bukvic (ico_AT_fuse.net)
Date: Sun Jun 22 2003 - 03:22:37 EEST

Thanks! This really helped me see straight again :-).

However this brings up one interesting point/problem. Due to GPL nature
of Linux software, many of our efforts will seamlessly bleed into OS X
world since there are no restrictions as to which platform this software
is run on, and Apple made an explicit move to target open-source
developers and/or users by implementing Darwin and underlying
almost-Unix system.

To me this is a problem. Since, all our efforts and time will not lure
more people to Linux. Rather, our software will (perhaps) become popular
(pro-tools killer or whatever), but not necessarily on a Linux platform.
In the end, we will not reap what we have sown. Users on the OS X will
be theoretically able to run Ardour as much as we will, especially now
that jackd has been ported to OS X. To me, this does not seem right.

I would hence like to propose a new idea and you guys tell me what you
think:

Perhaps we should make a mended version of GPL that would have exact
permissions like the original GPL license, but in addition would ask
that the software cannot be run on top of proprietary OS. This way, we
can make our software indigenous only to free/oss OS's and hence create
unique benefits that come from using Linux (and other open-sourced OS's,
obviously). Now, if we did this, then Linux in the long run would have a
definite advantage. As it stands now, it is only a matter of time before
all of the good linux audio software gets ported to (or ever worse,
becomes fully compatible with) OS X and other proprietary OS's and then
we end up putting all this effort into a community that in the end might
not grow at all, while offering benefits to those who did not chip in
any effort into the movement, nor do they understand the meaning behind
it. This certainly could pose problems for anyone who plans to make a
living in any shape or form associated with Linux and GPL'ed audio
software (Paul?).

What do you think?

Ivica Ico Bukvic, composer & multimedia sculptor
http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico