RE: [linux-audio-dev] New form of GPL licence that protects Linux from proprietary world [was: New powermacs?]

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] New form of GPL licence that protects Linux from proprietary world [was: New powermacs?]
From: Ivica Bukvic (ico_AT_fuse.net)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 20:44:59 EEST

> > How do you think the Linux kernel is being developed so fast?
>
> By enthusiatic developers with enough money to survive.

Wrong. How do you think Linus will now dedicate full-time to developing
kernel, from paypal contributions from other geeks? It's IBM, Redhat,
and many other companies with interests that pour big bucks as well as
contribute code in the kernel development. Granted, Linus is not the
only contributor, and there is huge contingent of people who simply give
because they believe. Yet, the overall movement is perhaps the most
heavily funded aspect of the Linux OS.

In part by observing this trend I was hoping to somehow adjust it so it
fits better needs of the LAD software (or perhaps to minimize problem
that has caused me to pursue this issue in the first place).

> Musicians rarely care about their liberty. You should not expect the
music
> industry, even your academic circle, to strongly embrace the free
> software movement. You might be forced to use proprietary tools, so in
> this case you better want free software to run on any computer.

Good points. It saddens me, tough, that the artists take liberties so
casually.

Ico