Re: [linux-audio-dev] AudioScience GPL'd drivers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] AudioScience GPL'd drivers
From: Fred Gleason (fredg_AT_salemradiolabs.com)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 00:33:20 EEST

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 16:37, Robert Jonsson wrote:

> I'm not exactly sure what these Guys are good for, audio cards for
> broadcast industry? Apparently they have GPL'd the interface code for
> their "sound cards".

The basic distinctive is DSP-based MPEG encoding/decoding, both L2 and (on the
6000 series) L3. They sport pro-style interconnects (balanced analog i/o,
AES3 digital) as well as hardware-based mixing and metering. The 6000 series
will also do real-time "no pitch shift" time shifting. They've supported
Linux for several years now with their custom "HPI" driver. The whole
"properietary driver" approach is common with cards aimed at the broadcast
sector, with ASI (as well as Digigram and Antex) offering special APIs on M$
platforms as well.

All in all, I've found them to be very solid, high-quality cards. Their HPI
driver has been top-notch in terms of stability. A bit on the pricey side,
though.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Salem Radio Labs |
| Voice: 1-(540)-341-2880 | 87 Lee Highway, Suite 11 |
| FAX: 1-(540)-341-7176 | Warrenton, VA 20188 |
| Ninety-Ninety Rule of Project Schedules: |
| The first ninety percent of the task takes ninety percent of |
| time, and the last ten percent take the other ninety percent. |