[linux-audio-dev] ableton live

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] ableton live
From: Adrian Gschwend (ktk_AT_datacomm.ch)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 20:55:53 EEST

Hi all,

Yesterday I visited a demo event of ableton live in Switzerland. I've
read quite a lot about this thingy in magazines but I never tried it
myself (I don't use windows since 1994 anymore). But man I was really
impressed. This is by far the most intuitive sequencer for all kind of
music I've ever seen.

The concept is a bit hard to describe, if you know trackers from the
good old days imagine that mixed with a real-time timestrecher for all
your samples, a harddisk recording tool and many nice enhancements like
effects, crossfader (dj mixtable like)...

The best thing is if you download a demo at http://www.ableton.de/
("Products->live->demo download") and give it a try, it should also
work inside VirtualPC, VMWare or whatsover. The thingy is quite fast,
even on old machines.

anyway, after trying to find the most intuitive sequencer interface for
years I think I've found that yesterday, too bad it was not my idea ;)
So I'm tempted to start a project to write something like that as open
source. The most important part in it is definitely the timestreching
(they call it "elastic" audio...). But as far as I know timestreching
algorithms are 1. not easy to implement and 2. not open source if they
sound good :)

Because I'm an absolute newbie with timestretching I request for
comments. Can anyone point me to some papers or reference
implementations of (realtime) timestretching algorithms? It won't be
needed in a first stage of the application but in a long term it is a
must.

Also, if someone is working on something like a "live" for Linux let me
know :)

cu

Adrian

--