[linux-audio-dev] Newbie has sound card problem

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Newbie has sound card problem
From: Jo Evans (j.evans_AT_auckland.ac.nz)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 01:06:21 EEST

I am a Linux newbie who has recently installed RedHat9 on a Dell
Optiplex GXa, 233 MHz, 128MB.

Booting from the Dell diagnostics diskette and running tests confirms
the Crystal CS4236B integrated sound card is working properly.

At the RH9 installation the card was correctly detected by isapnp.

I hear some alert beeps through the speakers.

dsp, audio and mixer are present in /dev/ with access flags crw------

BUT......

cat <soundfile> > /dev/dsp (or > dev/audio)

returns the message "bash: /dev/dsp:No such device" and no sound in
spkrs.

ALSO the Gnome sound recorder wont record
AND the Gnome Volume Control returns the message "Unable to open
audio device /dev/mixer"
AND the Gnome System Settings/Soundcard detection reports "No sound
card detected"

I've read the Linux Sound HOWTO but it doesnt help. (perhaps I dont
understand it).

Where to from here?

Jo Evans, Network Manager, Computer Support ph ext.3601
University of Auckland ph 64 - 9 - 422 6111
Leigh Marine Laboratory fax 64 - 9 - 422 6113
P.O. Box 349, Warkworth j.evans_AT_auckland.ac.nz