[linux-audio-dev] Re:ZynAddSubFX

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re:ZynAddSubFX
From: Fons Adriaensen (fons.adriaensen_AT_skynet.be)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 01:28:36 EEST

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 05:22:19AM -0300, Juan Linietsky wrote:

> On Wednesday 16 July 2003 22:21, Nasca Paul wrote:

> > Hi.
> > I released ZynAddSubFX 1.4.2

> I can understand about metal lyrics being anti-christian, we've seen
> that countless times in groups from megadeth to iron maiden,
> But I have no idea why "New Age" music is considered against god, since
> it has nothing to do with the "New Age" spiritual/religious movement (which
> is definitely anti-christian). Nowadays people calls "New Age" music to
> anything ambient, soft jazz, lounge, soundtraquesque, etc. Even people
> like vangelis gets his music called "New Age" and he never intended it
> to be associated with that name. As far as I know, and for historical reasons,
> the idea of the term comes from the idea of ritualistic music based on
> sustained voices, beats and nature elements inspired on indian tranditions
> and that kind of things, but was rapidly taken by musicans to call anything
> nature/ambient and out of the context of religion. Maybe the site should
> specify "Anti christian ritual music"?

This may be off-topic, but not entirely. When the author of an audio
app requests users not to use his work to produce music that is anti-
Christian, I wonder what is meant by this. If this were a commercial
app, I wouldn't bother about it for a second. But since it is open
source and just given to me, I do.

All major religions share the same ethical values - of love, respect for
human life (and to varying degrees, other forms of life), honesty, etc.
And I think all of this can be subscribed to by most of humanity.

With the possible exception of Buddhism, which in all its variations
emphasises personal responsability and offers little else to blame for
your misery, all of them also offer a scala of tendencies ranging from
fundamentalist (adherence to rules) to spriritual (adherence to principles).
Where they differ is in how they try to explain things - creation, the
choice of moral values, etc.

So what does it mean to be 'anti-Christian'? Personally, I'll be anti-X
when either X is harmful to society, or when X propagates intolerance to
other ways of thinking.

So my question to the author if ZynAddSubFX is this: if I use your work
to produce Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist or other religious music (all very
beautiful and elevating the spirit), do you object ? When I play Mozart's
freemason's mourning music which can bring tears to my eyes, do you mind ?

If yes, I will respect this and not use your work at all.
If no, maybe you should consider rephrasing your conditions.

With kind regards,

FA