Re: [linux-audio-dev] [linux-audio-dev][OT] Re:ZynAddSubFX

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [linux-audio-dev][OT] Re:ZynAddSubFX
From: Alfons Adriaensen (fons.adriaensen_AT_alcatel.be)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 15:44:31 EEST

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 10:02:27AM +0000, Denis de Leeuw Duarte wrote:

> >All major religions share the same ethical values - of love, respect for
> >human life (and to varying degrees, other forms of life), honesty, etc.
> >And I think all of this can be subscribed to by most of humanity.
>
> Well, for many Christians it does not work that way unfortunately. Their
> religion (Christiantity) teaches love and respect, but it also teaches
> that the one true path is narrow and that it is not just enough to adhere
> to the Christian ethos. It is necessary for them not to worship 'false'
> gods, including those of the other major religions. It is not about
> Christian values, it is about the Christian deity.

This is true, but I have no real problem with that.

> The problem with this whole discussion being of course one's perspective.
> From the believer-perspective, Paul's request is very reasonable, because
> for him the existence of God is essentially an established fact and those
> who do not worship him are in effect against him.

This "if you're not with us, you are against us" way of thinking is (for
me) a form of intolerance comparable to racism or xenophobia, and that
has no place in this world, even if it is religiously motivated.
My question to Paul is about his tolerance and respect for others, and
it is only a question, no more. I hope he will clarify his position.
If his religion makes him intolerant, then that is very sad, and I will
have no other choice but to completely ignore him and his work.

--
FA