[linux-audio-dev] Re: Measuring latency on my Apple G3

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Measuring latency on my Apple G3
From: Ismael Valladolid Torres (ismael_AT_sambara.org)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 14:46:41 EEST

Michel Dänzer escribio el 21/07/03 13:09:
> First of all, you mentioned in another post that you use x11perf to
> create X11 stress. Are there also problems with real world apps?

"Real world" apps work properly (except for the Gnome theme manager
which displays garbage). I only find video performance using Linux a lot
lower than using any of the Mac OS's.

> Also keep in mind that neither the vanilla 2.4 kernel nor the X server
> were designed for low latency. Have you tried the low latency and/or
> O(1) scheduler kernel patches, and not running the X server with
> negative nice values if you are?

Both of those patches (A. Morton and R. Love's ones) were applied to my
kernel. I don't know about running the X server with different nice
values, which advantage would I get? (I am using gdm as my X session
manager).

> Last but possibly not least of all, the dmasound driver has been less
> prone to dropouts in my experience than the ALSA driver.

I should try with pure OSS. Let's not forget that the latency test suite
is using the OSS compatibility layer of ALSA.

Thanks a lot. Any feedback is still very useful.

Regards, Ismael