Re: [linux-audio-dev] some interesting docs for 2.6 testers...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] some interesting docs for 2.6 testers...
From: Joern Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 10:48:07 EEST

Werner Johansson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've been doing some early 2.5 tests, but as I'm running RH8 with the Planet
> on top of it there seem to be some problems actually building a 2.5 kernel
> (the linked texts here mention optimization problems with the default
> RH-shipped gcc as one). So far I haven't been able to boot the 2.5 kernels
> properly (yes I have the console working, and the new modutils). Is there
> anything like a FAQ somewhere as how to actually build a kernel that would
> play nicely with a stock RH8 system including Planet CCRMA on top, or do I
> have to redo everything from scratch?

first of all, you should refer to Documentation/Changes in the kernel
source tree and make sure all your userspace tools are up to date (the
most critical being the modutils).
then you could look at the .config file for the redhat kernel and mimick
the configuration for 2.5 (where applicable). expect some things to
break, though. i usually only do it to the point where the system works
for me and ignore any further boot-time error messages from init scripts
that miss some modules etc.

disabling hardware scanning seems to help a lot - when i tried the new
kernel on my powerbook running yellowdog, i had to disable kudzu (the
hardware scanning tool).