Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll: Distro for audio and MIDI development

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll: Distro for audio and MIDI development
From: Matt Gerassimoff (mgeras_AT_wi.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 20:46:56 EEST

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am somewhat new to Linux low-level development. I have developed for
> other UNIX systems before, and also for Windows NT and for JavaCard
> compatible smartcards.
>
> I have used (and enjoyed) Debian for a long time as a Linux user and for
> web development. Getting into low-level development, I find Debian sid
> slightly more unstable than I would find myself entirely comfortable
> programming with. I have tried Mandrake for Intel and PowerPC platforms
> and also enjoyed it as an user. Unluckily, latest Mandrake is not very
> well supported for PowerPC platforms, and my computer at home is an
> Apple G3 (even now, I know Mandrake 9.1 will be the last PowerPC
> version). There is no Red Hat for us (though I know about but not tried
> Yellow Dog).
>
> I dream about a development setup as stable but also as updated as posible.

Try gentoo. It is the reasons you describe why I switched. I get the
latest updates as soon as there available. Sometimes, I can't wait and
just update the ebuild scripts (you'll read about them on the web site:
www.gentoo.org). I have since replaced all my production servers to use
gentoo. It's great. It takes a little more to install on the front end,
which will be taken care of on the next major release (due Aug 5), but
it's worth it because of the ease of maintainance.

Matt Gerassimoff