Re: [linux-audio-dev] calling all planet ccrma users ...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] calling all planet ccrma users ...
From: Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 04:33:45 EEST

> >From looking at the date I'd guess it comes from up2date, which is
> >included in planet.
>
> yeah, but you can't use up2date on a machine not connected to the
> internet. so a machine configured without being updated (i.e. not
> really 8.0 anymore) doesn't have glibc 2.3. i supposed RH are defining
> 8.0 as "8.0 plus any updates we say are part of 8.0 ...". sigh.

Hmmm, no, I sort of define it that way because I build all new packages
with all the redhat updates installed (up to that point in time).

You do not really need to have network connectivity for the updates if
you dowload the updates iso cdrom for rh8, it should include all the
needed stuff.

> i rebuilt the RPMs from nando's SRPMs.
>
> and now i just found out that i have a brand new Hammerfall DSP with a
> revision number not recognized by the driver. this means i would have
> to install the entire kernel source RPM (27MB!) from the planet, plus
> the alsa kernel SRPM, edit the source code, and then rebuild ALSA (you
> can't rebuild ALSA without the relevant kernel source installed). sigh
> again, doubled.

Welcome to the club! (of people rebuilding things for the nth time and
saying "sigh"...)

> still, at least i can justify being paid to do this :) and i have to
> say that the Linux Audio Systems splash screens for Grub and for GDM
> look pretty nice! i get a warm feeling inside seeing these things on
> such a superb machine :)
>
> i guess i should get it connected to the net, and run up2date as well,
> eh?

Or point to the Planet CCRMA repository and get the updates from there.
All the same.

-- Fernando