Re: [linux-audio-dev] Direct Stream Digital / Pulse Density Modulation musing/questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Direct Stream Digital / Pulse Density Modulation musing/questions
From: Anders Torger (torger_AT_ludd.luth.se)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 17:01:31 EEST

On Monday 28 July 2003 14.59, Alfons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 02:00:41PM +0200, Anders Torger wrote:
> > It becomes even more interesting when you bring in dither. Then you
> > can represent signals whose amplitude is less than one bit, and you
> > can increase time resolution to infinity.
>
> Time (phase) resolution *is* already infinite, even without dither.
> The quantisation of time and amplitude are two completely different
> beasts.

Well, not exactly. I'm am by no means an expert on dither, so if I have
wrong, let me know.

Think that you are sampling a sine wave, without dither. Truncating to
an even sample can result in a small phase shift after the
reconstruction, which is not there if you make a properly dithered
recording. Thus - dither improves temporal resolution, through
improvement of amplitude resolution.

Am I right?

/Anders Torger